Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) margarine
- 8 oz (224 grm) cream cheese plus
- 3 oz (84 grm) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) corn starch
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- chocolate frosting of choice
- Prepare chocolate cake batter as directed and set aside.
- Cream margarine, cream cheese, sugar and corn starch.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Use prepared cake pans i.e. Pam, oil and flour, or wax paper rounds for easy removal from pan.
- 1/2 Pour of chocolate batter into pan(s).
- Pour cream cheese mixture and spread to edges.
- Pour remaining chocolate batter and spread to cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on size and shape of cake. Test for doneness with toothpick.
- Frost with chocolate frosting of choice.
- Whenever it's my birthday, I hope this is the
cake. We turned our neighbors into fans at one
of their birthday parties, too.
This recipe is loosely based on the Fudge Ribbon Cake made by Mrs. Richard D. Butler of Chesterland, Ohio. Mrs. Butler was the $1,500 Senior Third Prize Winner of Pillsbury's 16th Grand National Bake-Off in 1965. Ann Pillsbury adapted the original recipe so this is a re-adaptation.